Updated: Aug 2
“The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them.”
– Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Creativity isn't some magical power for a chosen few, it's something we ALL have within us. We can wake it up and grow it. Just look around, find beauty in the ordinary, and let that inspire you. Here are some ways to get your creative juices flowing:
1. Be Curious: Become interested in the world. Try to see more than what's obvious. Look for small details and patterns. Let your senses lead you to new ideas.
2. Stay Present: Live in the moment and pay attention to what's happening around you. Slow down, enjoy the small things like a flower blooming or the sound of birds singing. This creates space for inspiration.
3. Find Inspiration Anywhere: You can become inspired by anything. Check out different types of art, nature, cultures, and science. Go to museums, read books, watch movies, go to concerts, or just go outside. Pay attention to your feelings, and let them kick-start your creativity.
4. Really Look at Things: Spend time studying 'the ordinary' around you through deep observation, closely observe how colors, textures, shapes, and patterns mix. Find beauty in the seemingly mundane. Let what you see guide your imagination and creativity.
5. Keep a Record: Have a journal, sketchbook, or camera ready to save the beautiful things you find in 'the ordinary'. This can help you remember these experiences and these memories trigger the initial experience, and can inspire you for future projects.
6. Enjoy Being Alone: Give yourself some alone time to contemplate, rest, and get in touch with yourself. In quiet moments, your mind can generate new ideas. Take a break from the world and give your creativity a chance to grow.
7. Work with Others: Find people who also love being creative. Work together on collaborative projects, share ideas, and get feedback. Being around other creatives can give you new ideas and offer encouragement.
8. Learn to Be Okay with Mistakes: Creativity takes time, and not everything you create has to be perfect. It's okay to take risks, make mistakes, and learn from them. Trying new things and experimenting is how we come up with new, great ideas.
So, find the beauty in the seemingly mundane and use these experiences to spark your creativity. The ordinary, everyday experiences can become the most memorable experiences, and by connecting with the world around you, you can let your creativity shine. So get out there, stay open-minded and observant, and unleash your creative flow.